Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Moving my business to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 27 January 2002 10:20 pm, you wrote:
> This post is long, if you'd like to offer quick point advice, I specificly
> am looking for live replication/fallover for PostgreSQL, daily
> synchronization with Access, and data import/restructuring from the D3
> nested relational database to PostgreSQL.

Sorry I can't answer too many of your questions, but one thing I am quite
sure of is that Postgres does not offer replication/failover. I inferred this
information from the postgres developer TODO
(http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php), which still lists both features
(and has for some time, I might add).

I really think that postgres is a great database; it certainly has many
advanced features, and is also developing quite rapidly. However, it sounds
as though it doesn't have every capability you require. Replication/failover
seem important to what you're doing, and unless I'm mistaken, they don't
exist in postgres. You may be able to make use of what work has been done in
that regard.

I guess the question now is: Is there something out there that does meet your
requirements? Postgres may be your best bet if you can't afford the costs
associated with oracle. Oracle may be best if the replication/failover really
is a requirement. Or maybe you can find a cheaper commercial database that
offers more of what you need than postgres.

Note that my experience is somewhat limited, so don't take what I say for
fact.

Regards, and good luck,

    Jeff