Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: RTREE Index on primary key generated by a sequence
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:56:18AM +0100, Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul.argudo@IDEALX.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I was at first Oracle DBA, I've been told many times at
> professional trainings that when there is a table wich primary key is
> generated by a sequence, it is worth create a RTREE index on it rather
> than a BTREE (for index balancing reasons).

The documentation gives the specific algorithms used:
The B-tree index is an implementation of Lehman-Yao high-concurrency  B-trees. The R-tree index method implements
standardR-trees using  Guttman's quadratic split algorithm. The hash index is an  implementation of Litwin's linear
hashing.We mention the algorithms  used solely to indicate that all of these access methods are fully  dynamic and do
nothave to be optimized periodically (as is the case  with, for example, static hash access methods).