Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Devogelaere wrote:

> >     4.  Instead  of investigating what the problem is, PostgreSQL
> >         was reported to *Crash*.
> Yes: it *crashed*. Since i disabled all debugging i cannot help you
> with investigating this problem. I hope i won't get the death penalty
> for this ;)
> >
> >     It cannot get any more obvious.
> Please elaborate.
   I  hope  you  don't take any of my comments personal. Because   they are not! It is just that I am tired and bored
of these   every so often repeated MySQL optimized "benchmarks".

   I  see  a  clear difference between a database server process   crash and a disabled service caused by  misbehaving
sysadmin  scripts and/or bad service because of contra-optimized client   behaviour.

   This is exactly the same style of reporting  crashes  or  bad   performace,  the  MySQL  folks  have  practiced  for
years.I   remember creating  and  dropping  tables  a  couple  thousand   times,  then VACUUM with a user that doesn't
havepermissions   to vacuum system catalogs, and report bad performance because   the  system  cache  got successfully
screwedup ... there was   even a comment in the  script  saying  "this  makes  Postgres   slow"  ...  haha.   Other
reported *crashes* have been core   dumps of the test-scripts, because Postgres dealt with datums   bigger than the
perl-clientwas able to swallow ... well, the   test driver just reported a crash, not exactly where and why,   does
that really  matter?  MySQL shows success and Postgres   does not, that's what counts.

   The  lowest  level  still  accepted  Transaction   Processing   Council Benchmark, TPC-C, can be implemented with a
SUTusing   MySQL. Do it using LAMP, if you want to learn what a database   crash is ;-)

   There is a good reason why TPC has abandoned the TPC-1, TPC-A   and TPC-B benchmarks. They are "too  simple"  to  be
of  any   meaning  for  benchmarking  purposes  these days. Yet all the   stuff  this  huge  crowd  of  MySQL-Lemmings
is  constantly   babbling  about is even more simple than that!  They all have   their reasons, the TPC members
(basicallyall  serious  RDBMS   vendors) on one side as well as the MySQL folks on the other.

   As a matter of fact, the MySQL folks  are  alone  with  their   point  of view that "beeing fastest on a
single-table-select"  is the most important  criteria  for  a  relational  database   management  system.  And  as
anothermatter of fact, Lemmings   get what Lemmings deserve, MySQL!

Jan