Re: Password type ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Password type ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > > I don't seem to be able to find a built-in way in PostgreSQL for
> > > password encryption of a field?
> > >
> > > is there something like this and i just dont find it because of
> > > the late hour ?
> >
> > We don't have that feature.
>
> Eh... what about the pgcrypto package?
>
> CREATE VIEW "user_md5_auth" AS
>   SELECT username, ENCODE(DIGEST(password, 'md5'), 'hex') as password
>     FROM passwd;

Uh, yes.  I am sorry.  I thought the user wanted a field that could only
be accessed via a password.  I suppose it could be built using the
pgcrypto routines, but I question how secure it would be because the
password would have to pass over the network in plantext as part of the
query.  You could do something similar to what we do with wire
encryption now by encrypting on the client side with a random salt
supplied by the server and comparing that, but that doesn't sound
secure.

I think your best bet is to do encryption/decryption on the client side
and store only the encrypted part in the database.