Re: PHP Abstraction layers - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: PHP Abstraction layers
Date
List pgsql-php
--- Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > I think ADODB kicks arse.  Very fast, etc.
> > Chris
>
> I have got good feedback about ADODB, but has anyone used ADODB and
> PEAR
> DB? I would like some level of comparison.

I find ADODB to be totally overkill and messy for just about any
application.  PEAR DB has a nice and clean interface but it is tied
into the still rather immature PEAR classes which bothers me.  I
personally use the PHPLIB DB abstraction and I find it very fast and
clean.  Each database abstraction library is self-sufficient, unlike
PEAR DB.  Plus thousands of programmers have been using PHPLIB for
years so it is mature and has a great user base.  It is not perfect
but it has functioned beautifully for several large projects I have
worked on.

Each DB layer has its advantages and disadvantages.  My suggestion is
to try each of them for a couple dozen lines of code and see which
one you like.

Brent