Re: libpq not reentrant - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: libpq not reentrant
Date
Re: libpq not reentrant  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
> So right off the bat, configure is going to have a task guessing
> the correct type of the third argument to crypt_r.  (Who knows what
> it is on other Unixen...)
>
> Given that as of 7.2, MD5 is the preferred password encryption method
> and crypt() is deprecated, I'm not inclined to spend a lot of work
> trying to develop a bulletproof autoconf procedure for making crypt
> re-entrant.  I'm strongly inclined to just document the problem and
> leave it at that.  Comments?

As of 7.2 we are only going to recommend crypt for backward
compatibility with older releases.  I will add a mention in libpq docs
that crypt authentication is not thread-safe.  Even when crypt did work
it wasn't always portable between OS's.  Is that how we want to go?