pattern-match selectivity code and lower(thing) LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicholas Piper
Subject pattern-match selectivity code and lower(thing) LIKE
Date
List pgsql-general
>> On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I'm on 7.1
>> (PostgreSQL 7.1.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.95.4)

> Okay ... [ looks at code ... ] oh, I see the problem.  The pattern-match
> selectivity code doesn't try to deal with "lower(foo) LIKE ...":

>    /*
>     * If expression is not var op constant for
>     * a simple var of a real relation (no subqueries, for now),
>     * then punt and return a default estimate.
>     */

> This could probably be improved, but I don't have time to think
> about it now.  In the meantime you could try knocking
> DEFAULT_MATCH_SEL down a little bit.  (It's already been reduced to
> 0.005 in current sources, in fact.)  See
> src/backend/utils/adt/selfuncs.c.

Has this improved any since Aug. ? I tried to look in the current CVS,
but I don't know where this code would be. I did a quick find and
couldn't locate the comment shown above anywhere.

(I've returned to my original project, and tried reducing
DEFAULT_MATCH_SEL in 7.1.3 to 0.005 (it was 0.01 in the current cygwin
source); this didn't help so I'm going to use lowercase only entries
in my tables for now so I don't have to index lower(item)).

 Nick

--
Part 3 MEng Cybernetics; Reading, UK       http://www.nickpiper.co.uk/
Change PGP actions of mailer or fetch key see website   1024D/3ED8B27F