question with beta5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject question with beta5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey, I decided to download and run beta5 through a few paces, and just ran
into something that I wouldn't think it good, but maybe it's expected.

I loaded a decent size database that we support.  From within psql, I
performed a "select * from quesresp" which has 4.6 million rows.  After doing
that, psql just started comsuming more and more memory until both my RAM, and
all my swap were full. I killed the query before I had any big problems.
From top I could see that psql was using close to 500M.

Is this expected behaviour?

Additional possibly relevant information.

testlang=# \d quesresp                                     Table "quesresp"   Column     |          Type          |
               Modifiers

---------------+------------------------+---------------------------------------------------id            | integer
          | not null default

nextval('quesresp_id_seq'::text)applicationid | integer                | not nullquestionid    | integer
|not nullanswerid      | integer                | not nullfreeformresp  | character varying(255) |skillorder    |
integer               |

Unique keys: quesresp_app_ques_ans_sk_ndx,            quesresp_pkey

testlang=# select version();                          version
-------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.2b5 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
2.96
(1 row)

Stock Redhat 7.2 with all patches installed (2.4.9 kernel etc...)

Thanks much,

Matt O'Connor