Re: About pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: About pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
These are all excellent points.  Peter, I will be out for a few hours so
I can't get to this right away.  If you want to get started, the current
version is in CVS;  feel free to wack it around.  I have been committing
to CVS so people would view/modify it.  I will send you email before I
get started with any changes.

Moving to /contrib I think makes sense, particularly because you need
7.2 pg_upgrade while 7.1 is still installed.   I believe this will
remain true for future releases as well.  I was going to add a mention
of that to pg_upgrade.sgml.

One more change I need which I haven't yet is to force sequence
regeneration even for 7.2 because the XID sequence status changed from
7.2beta4 to 7.2beta5.  I will fix that today.

I had no great plans for pg_upgrade;  I just knew it had to be done some
day and I figured now was a good time.  The group can decide when and
how to use it.