pgsql/src/backend/commands sequence.c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From tgl@postgresql.org
Subject pgsql/src/backend/commands sequence.c
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    tgl@postgresql.org    02/01/11 13:16:04

Modified files:
    src/backend/commands: sequence.c

Log message:
    Fix sequence creation to set the t_xmin of a sequence's tuple to
    FrozenTransactionId, not the XID of the creating transaction.  Without
    this it's possible for a reference to a long-gone CLOG record to occur,
    per Christian Meunier's bug report of 10-Jan-02.  Worse, the sequence
    tuple would become invisible to SELECTs after 2 billion transactions.

    Since the fix is applied during sequence creation it does not help
    existing databases, unless you drop and recreate every sequence.
    However, we intend to force initdb for 7.2RC1 anyway, to fix a pg_proc
    error, so I see no need to do more for this problem.