Re: Query planner isn't using my indices - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Query planner isn't using my indices
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:18:33PM +0000, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2002, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > Finite developer resources?  Feel free to pitch in once the 7.3 cycle
> > starts.
>
> Smile, everyone!
>
> I'm going to pitch to my employer to let me fix it on company time, since
> it's causing problems for us with JBoss (which generates most of the
> queries for us, out of our control).

Interestingly, I find the easiest fix is: never use unquoted constants.

If it didn't break other peoples queries I'd suggest modifying the parser so
that numbers are parsed as strings of type unknown instead of numbers. Then
let the normal type matching system go to work on it.

That said, a good system for type promotion would be cool.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/