Re: sequential scans and the like operator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: sequential scans and the like operator
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:50:53AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> There is a discussion going on on the sql-ledger mailing list concerning
> whether indexes will provide any performance improvements.  The one that
> caught my eye was whether using LIKE in a statement would force a
> sequential scan.
>
> I tried checking the PG list archives but fts.postgresql.org is a little
> slow - as many know - plus a quick search using google didn't turn up
> much.
>
> My guesstimation is a leading or mid-field wildcard (_, %) would force a
> sequential scan but a trailing wildcard would not (should not?).

    I, myself, don't remember the thread exactly, but I'm pretty sure that
was the behavior that we were told to expect...

--
Adam Haberlach         | Who buys an eight-processor machine and then
adam@newsnipple.com    | watches 30 movies on it all at the same time?