Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Albertson
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
So in ten years you will have about a million records.
That's not really a lot of data. It would all fit in RAM
at once given your 1GB RAM size.

Now for the data rate:

30 days X (8 hrs/day) X (3600 sec/hour)
---------------------------------------  ~= 250 seconds
         4000 records

Is that right?? you have a few __minutes__ to process each
new row.

I think your hardware is  overkill.  Any low end
box would work for you. But if you have MANY users trying
to query this data all at once the hardware may be needed.
I don't think you need that Second CPU _unless_ you plan
for many concurent client conections or if the server will
be performing other services (apache, mail, NFS....) at the
same time.

--- Fernando_San_Mart�n_Woerner <snmartin@galilea.cl> wrote:
> I need to build a postgresql database with 2 tables containing 70.000
> records each one, but they'll increase their size in 4.000 records
> monthly
> and some triggers and functions will be running on this tables plus
> other
> smaller tables less than 40.000 records.
>
> So i'm planning to implement a Intel PentiumIII Server with 2 cpu,
> 1GB RAM
> and a SCSI HDD with 10 GB running red hat 7.2.
>
> will be enough? have you experiences about it? some tips?
>

> thanks and happy new year....
>

> Fernando San Mart�n Woerner        counter.li.org Linux User #216550
> Jefe Depto. Inform�tica            Galilea S.A.
> Talca, VII Regi�n Chile            (56)71-224876
> Si hubiera previsto las consecuencias me hubiera hecho relojero.
>
> Albert Einstein

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

=====
Chris Albertson