Re: Creating db from sql script file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Danny Aldham
Subject Re: Creating db from sql script file
Date
List pgsql-novice

> I have worked with MSSql for awhile and one of the most convienent features of the Enterprise Manager is the "export
sqlto file"
> function. I am new to postgres and wondering if postgres supports this. The main reason is I use a dev. box and a
livebox. If I make the changes on the dev box, can I export the sql and transfer it to the live box? Not to mention,
whenthe database is created it would be nice to export the sql to have a hard copy.

> Is there an export/import sql feature? I have not been able to find it.

Yep. To export a database use the pg_dump command, like:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump DB.Name > /tmp/DB.Name.sql
And then to import it, create your database and then use psql like:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql DB.Name < /tmp/DB.Name.sql

-- Danny Aldham     Providing Certified Internetworking Solutions to Business
www.postino.com  E-Mail, Web Servers, Web Databases, SQL PHP & Perl