Re: Add another AUTHTYPE for UNIX-domain connections - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Add another AUTHTYPE for UNIX-domain connections
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org> writes:
> > On some platforms, it is possible to reliably determine the effective
> > credentials of a UNIX-domain peer.
>
> Umm ... I think this is in 7.2 already, although not using getpeereid.
>
> Anyone have an idea whether there are platforms that have getpeereid but
> not SO_PEERCRED or SCM_CREDS?  If so it might be worth adding getpeereid
> as an alternate implementation in ident_unix().

OpenBSD implements only getpeereid().  I have added this to the TODO
list.   We already have the other BSD's covered, and Linux.  I am
concerned about moving to getpeereid() on the other BSD's because we
have working code already for them and I am not sure how new the OS has
to be to have getpeereid() support, i.e. is it in FreeBSD 4.4?  I don't
see a manual page for it, and FreeBSD 5.0 is not for major release until
another year so our current code seems best.