Re: pgsql and large tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aasmund Midttun Godal
Subject Re: pgsql and large tables
Date
List pgsql-general
The way I would do this is to spend some time designing the data model which you find optimal, when this is done you
createit in a database, and test it for a little while. Then you create views which look like your old database. This
waythe interface with your application will not be broken. Finally you test the new interface (make sure it actually
worksas it is supposed to) import the old data, and continue running it. Then you make your own little plan, as to how,
whichand when you are going to update the other scripts. This will give you many advantages:

1. You will learn a lot more about postgres (views, rules etc.)
2. You will be able to get many of the advantages much quicker
3. You will get all the advantages over time and you can focus on the most important one's first.

Regards,

Aasmund.

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/