Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Re: Help with INSERT into 2 tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
You will need to:
1. Insert into aaaa
2. Get value of aaaaid for inserted record
3. Include aaaaid value explicitly in your insert to
bbbb.

The only question is how to do 2 above.  AFAIK doing a
separate command "SELECT
currval(aaaaid_sequence_name)" should work.
Alternatively, if the oid of the last inserted record
is returned to your Java program (sorry, I don't know
anything about the JDBC driver functionality, so don't
know whether that is so or not), then you can do
"SELECT aaaaid FROM aaaa WHERE oid = <oid of inserted
record>": which would probably be safer.