Re: MS Client ODBC question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: MS Client ODBC question
Date
List pgsql-general

> Ok thanks, when I changed the pg_hba.conf authentication field from 'crypt'
> to 'password' I was able to connect from my Win 98 box using ODBC (tables
> look good from Excel->data->import->query).
>
> Are there any plans to to make the Postgres Win ODBC driver support
> connections using authentication by crypt or Kerberos?

Good question.  ODBC has never supported crypt.  7.2b2 supports MD5
encryption, which will be the prefered password encryption method for
future PostgreSQL versions.

FYI, crypt was never supported because we have been using the native
operating system's crypt() and Win* doesn't have that function.
However, MD5 is better than crypt in several ways so we are standarizing
on that now.