Re: Default configuration file - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Ned Wolpert
Subject Re: Default configuration file
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
--- Dave Cramer <Dave@micro-automation.net> wrote:
> Looks good so far... I haven't had a chance to really read it, but I am
> wondering about a synchronized method that can block? Specifically
> getPooledConnection.

Actually, I punted on that one.  Reason I did it was that creating a
new Properties could fail due to an IOException.  However, if I make
the 'reload()' method catch the exception, then I can have the static
var be created at construction time. (Like this)

    private static DefaultProperties self = new DefaultProperties();
    public static  DefaultProperties getDefaultProperties()  {
      return self;
    }

I use the term 'punted' since I didn't know if developers would rather
a) check that the singleton is null, b) get an empty DefaultProperties
object or c) handle the exception of an IOException. For this case, I
allowed the singleton to be null, and made it not a true singleton by
giving people the option to create their own instance.

Votes on proper behavior?  I guess it makes sense to catch the exception
internally, and behave as if the DefaultProperties is empty should an
IOException occur.

=====
Virtually,        |                   "Must you shout too?"
Ned Wolpert       |                                  -Dante
wolpert@yahoo.com |
_________________/              "Who watches the watchmen?"
4e75                                       -Juvenal, 120 AD

-- Place your commercial here --                      fnord