Re: Best way to store/search phone numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Gould
Subject Re: Best way to store/search phone numbers?
Date
Re: Best way to store/search phone numbers?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
My 2 cents:  Concatenating data is easier than
extracting data from a larger element.

I'd use different fields (country code, area code,
phone number, extension, etc.) and instruct the users
not to use punctuation.  The data will (hopefully) be
a little cleaner; and easier to use.  Then, if you
want it all in one field, use an update query to
concatenate the values with formatting characters into
a separate field for easy reporting/printing.

Best of luck,

Andrew

majordomo@postgresql.org)