Re: Database corruption? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dr. Evil
Subject Re: Database corruption?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Perhaps we should reconsider the notion of keeping CRC checksums on
> > data pages.  Not sure what we could do to defend against bad RAM,
> > however.
>
> Good idea.

I third that.  Machines are very fast today.  Reliability is vastly
more important than speed in many cases.  Let's say that CRC
introduces a 20% slowdown (which is probably an overstatement).  This
means that, to get the same speed, we will have to spend 20% more on
the hardware.  Let's say that this is a top-end server, so we have to
spend $12k instead of $10k.  Is $2k worth it for better data
reliability?  Absolutely!  No question about it.