Re: Python interface and Money? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Subject Re: Python interface and Money?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Thus spake Hannu Krosing
> > I have been thinking of creating a money type in Python so that this
> > won't happen but haven't got around to it yet.  In the meantime you
> > can always format it with "%.2f" to get the correct value displayed.
>
> There are pure python BigDecimal and Money types available in the same
> place as m2crypto:
>
> http://www.post1.com/home/ngps/m2/

Cool.  Two problems, however.  I don't know if I can access this from my
C code.  This could simply be a learning issue.  The other problem is in
making sure that it is always available.  It might make more sense to just
create an internal type in pgmodule.c.

> > They keep saying that DECIMAL should be used instead but they are not
> > exactly equivalent.  The MONEY type was originally written with locale
> > support and displays the local currency symbol.
>
> This of course will be a real PITA to parse reliably in the adapter ;(

Very true.