Re: Getting OID after Insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Getting OID after Insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 02:38:04PM -0400, Kevin HaleBoyes wrote:
> Is this actually guaranteed to work?
> What happens if another call to append_test() is made such that
> the insert takes place in the first call, then the insert takes place
> in the second call before the select currval().

Yes, it's guarenteed to work. If you examine the documentation for
currval(), you will get the last value returned by nextval() *in this
session*. Whatever happens in other sessions is irrelevent.

I think this needs to be highlighted more in the documentation since many
people miss this very important point.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/