Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> > I think Hiroshi's point is the same as mine: discussions of feature
> > changes need to happen on -hackers before being implemented.
>
> Well, IIRC there *was* some discussion about this some months back, and
> no one particularly objected to changing it to be compatible with MySQL.
> That's why Bruce felt free to execute on the TODO item despite being
> so close to beta.
>
> > Subscriptions to other mailing lists should not be required to stay up
> > with mainstream development issues.
>
> Actually, the reason we have an argument now is the other way around:
> some non-hackers people complained when the change notice went by.
> We do have an obligation to users who don't read -hackers.
>
> Given the amount of noise being raised on the issue now, I think the
> better part of valor is to revert to the 7.1 behavior and plan to
> discuss it again for 7.3.  But it's not like Bruce did this with no
> warning or discussion.

[ BCC to general ]

I agree.  Let me reverse this to 7.1 behavior, and note in the HISTORY
file that LIMIT #,# will be removed in 7.3.  That way, people know it is
coming and it gives them one release to fix their queries.  I know Tom
wanted it removed right away because it is so confusing but I think we
have enough votes to keep it around, unchanged, for another release.

As to whether we should emit a NOTICE every time LIMIT #,# is used, I
think not, but if people want it I can add it.