Re: Break both? (Was To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Break both? (Was To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing
Date
List pgsql-general
> Ok so if both were broken then??? ERm what are we going to use??
> Frankly, I thought Postgres (prior to 7.2) select limit actually made
> more sense to use than mysql..
>
> Hmm I can see some DB abstraction programmers banging their heads now
> on this issue...
>
> I happen to be using something called ADODB (php.weblogs.com) which
> uses the select limit in its pageexecute method (cool convenient way
> of making next and previous links..).

We are not removing LIMIT at all. We are discussing changing or removing
LIMIT #,# and requiring people to use LIMIT # OFFSET #.

Obviously, in LIMIT #,#, it is not at all clear which one is the LIMIT
and which one is the OFFSET because it has been backwards from MySQL and
few people even realized it.  I can see no compelling reason to support
LIMIT #,# when the clearer LIMIT # OFFSET # can be used instead.

The only reason to have LIMIT #,# is for MySQL compatibility, and we
obviously don't have that becuase we are backwards.