Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date
List pgsql-general
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > Break the SQL code that has been implemented for prior versions??
> > >  Bummer ;((.
> >
> > Yes, but we don't follow the MySQL behavior, which we copied when we
> > added LIMIT.  Seems we should agree with their implementation.
>
> Isn't it much worse to not follow PostgreSQL behaviour than to not follow
> MySQL behaviour?

Well, it was on the TODO list and people complained while porting their
MySQL applications.  We clearly made a mistake in the initial
implementation.

The question is do we fix it or continue with a different
implementation.  Because we have the separate LIMIT and OFFSET we can
fix it while giving people a solution that will work for all versions.
If we don't fix it, all MySQL queries that are ported will be broken.

I assume it got on the TODO list because fixing it was the accepted
solution.  We can, of course, change our minds.