Re: indexing and LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Patrik Kudo
Subject Re: indexing and LIKE
Date
Re: indexing and LIKE  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi

Thanks for your respons, but I'm afraid it didn't help. I've succeeded
with indexing my table using functional indices, but the problem is that
the index I create won't work with my query. Let me illustrate:

kudo=# select version();                          version
--------------------------------------------------------------PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on i386--freebsd4.3, compiled by GCC
2.95.3
(1 row)

kudo=# create index person_lower_lname_idx on person (lower(last_name));
CREATE
kudo=# vacuum analyze person;
VACUUM
kudo=# explain select userid, first_name, last_name from person where lower(last_name) like 'kud%';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on person  (cost=0.00..217.44 rows=70 width=36)

EXPLAIN
kudo=# explain select userid, first_name, last_name from person where lower(last_name) = 'kudo';
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using person_lower_lname_idx on person  (cost=0.00..57.82 rows=70 width=36)

As you can see, the functional index is working fine when using the
"normal" = operator. However, it is not used when using the "like"
operator, which I need. I understand that a pattern-matched query probably
can't be made as effective as a query with =, but I think it, at least
theoretically, should be possible to use a btree-index to find matches in
the first query above.

Am I totaly wrong here? What is possible/impossible with Postgres?

Regards,
Patrik Kudo