Re: initdb must have write access to /tmp - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: initdb must have write access to /tmp
Date
List pgsql-bugs

> Hi,
>
>     I was just installing postgres 7.1.2 on my linux mandrake 7.2
>     system and the build and install went fine up to the point I
>     had to run:
>
>      initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
>     which segfaulted.  I changed the permissions on /tmp to 777
>     and all was well.  I think initdb could use an if statement to
>     check the permissions on /tmp and report a descriptive bug.

I think this will be fixed in 7.2.  I don't see initdb referencing /tmp
at all and postmaster/postgres have some fixes when they fail to write
to /tmp.  In fact, I just initdb'ed with temp unwritable so it seems
this is certainly fixed.