Re: triggers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnny J\xF8rgensen
Subject Re: triggers
Date
List pgsql-general
As Steve Brett said, you need PL/pgSQL specifically made available, as there is no scripting supported initially (for
securtityreasons, i'm told), but it isn't too hard.

you merely need to use the createlang in pgsql/bin, read the manual and / or email me for the lengthy explanation..

i believe PL/pgSQL is quite similar to PL/SQL, otherwise i can recommend the book

"beginning databases with postgresql" by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew, they're pretty thorough..

On 10-10-2001 at 12:33 Steve Brett wrote:

>"Kevin HaleBoyes" <kcboyes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm currently running a database on Oracle and would like to make my
>> application portable to the PostgreSQL database.  Converting the tables
>> (specifically the attribute types) is fairly easy but I've run into a
>> problem with database triggers.
>>
>> My application is designed so that insertions/updates to certain tables
>> only provide a limited number of attributes and an Oracle trigger fills
>> in the other attributes.  For example, one table may have id and name
>> attributes but when the application inserts new records it only provides
>> the name value and a trigger fills in the id value (from a sequence
>number).
>>

>choose a serial datatype and a sequence will be created and the default
>value set.
>have a look at the docs for nextval, currval and setval.
>
>AFAIK triggers can be implemented as functions and writtenin a few
>different
>languages but support needs to be compiled into postgresql.
>

>> I started looking at the trigger support in PostgreSQL and found what I
>> needed except I'm not sure how to write the "body" of the trigger.  In
>> Oracle I write PL/SQL but it seems I may have to write C code on the
>> PostgreSQL side.  Is this true?  Is there a PostgreSQL procedural
>language
>> that I can write the body in?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kevin.

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Mvh,

Johnny J�rgensen

johnny@halfahead.dk
+45 6315 7328