Re: ALTER RENAME and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brent Verner
Subject Re: ALTER RENAME and indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06 Oct 2001 at 20:13 (-0400), Rod Taylor wrote:
| Of course, in 7.1 foreign key constraints become rather confused when
| you rename columns on them.
|
| create table parent (id serial);
| create table child (id int4 references parent(id) on update cascade);
| alter table parent rename column id to anotherid;
| alter table child rename column id to junk;
| insert into child values (1);
|
| -> ERROR:  constraint <unnamed>: table child does now have an
| attribute id

ok, I see where this breaks. The args to the RI_ConstraintTrigger_%d
are written into the pg_trigger tuple like so..
 '<unnamed>\000child\000parent\000UNSPECIFIED\000id\000id\000'

There are really two approaches, AFAICS.

1) modify this tgargs value to reflect the modified column name(s).
2) modify <whatever uses these args> to use the oid instead of  the column names, and modify CreateTrigger to reflect
thischange..

#2 seems to be the most bulletproof approach, so I'm looking
into hacking this up right now.  Any comments would be much
appreciated about any (better) ways to fix this problem.

cheers. Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman