Re: ORDER BY case insensitive? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: ORDER BY case insensitive?
Date
List pgsql-sql
My guess is that compared to the task of sorting
millions of names the fact that you have to lowercase
them first is not going to be a particular burden.  No
matter what you do you are going to get a table scan
(unless you qualify your select with a where clause).

You can, however, create an index like:

create index MyTable_lower_idx on MyTable
(lower(name));

It won't help with your particular query, but it
certainly would help for queries like:

SELECT * FROM MyTable WHERE lower(name) = 'jason';

It is also possible to create a trigger that would
automatically lowercase information when it is
inserted or updated.  Or even less high tech you can
make sure that all of your INSERTS and UPDATES use the
lower command like this:

INSERT into MyTable (name) VALUES (lower('VALUE'));

Jason