Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: ipc-daemon initdb postmaster
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
James,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:47:28AM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Yes, I'm using Windows 98.

The above explains the "It seems to be as buggy as hell." comment. :,)

> How do I tell which version of cygwin I have?

    $ uname -a

> > On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 06:25:34PM +1000, gnudev@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > > Problem is, I keep getting "Error: descriptor <blah> is a file
> > > descriptor, not a socket"

Please try to debug the above.  gdb would be best, but at least use
strace:

    $ strace -o psql.log psql ...

and send the output to cygwin@cygwin.com.

Since I do not have access to 9x/Me, I cannot debug this problem myself.

BTW, I believe this to be a generic socket problem under Cygwin on 9x/Me
which really has nothing specifically to do with PostgreSQL.  You can
try to search through the Cygwin archives to see if you can come up with
a resolution.  I tried a while ago but came up only with questions and
unfortunately, no answers. :,(

Just another WAG, but is your 98 the original version or SE?  Maybe your
MS Winsock stuff needs to be upgraded?

Jason