Re: psql microsecond timing patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: psql microsecond timing patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
> greg@turnstep.com writes:
> > This is a small patch to allow you to time your queries in
> > psql. Myself and some others have been using it and find it
> > useful for telling how long an actual specific query takes,
> > as opposed to EXPLAIN which just does an estimate.
>
> Hmm.  Is there any value in this now that we have EXPLAIN ANALYZE?
>
> Microsecond-level timing on the client side seems like a dubious
> proposition anyway ...

FYI, EXPLAIN ANALYZE will appear in 7.2:

test=> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM pg_class;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on pg_class  (cost=0.00..3.01 rows=101 width=115) (actual
time=0.06..1.97 rows=101 loops=1)
Total runtime: 2.51 msec

EXPLAIN