Re: Makefiles for building with mingw32 on win32 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gerhard Häring
Subject Re: Makefiles for building with mingw32 on win32
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 03:29:15PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> [...]
> mingw32 is the "minimal GNU environment for Win32" -- sort of like Cygwin
> ultra-light.  As a consequence it should work to run configure on it.  In
> fact, we already have
>
> checking for Cygwin environment... no
> checking for mingw32 environment... no
>
> So I'd be interested to know what happens when you do try it.

"C compiler cannot create executables."

I'll try to sort this out. The current configure script doesn't know anything
about mingw32. It doesn't add the "-mno-cygwin" option and it still tries to
link against libcrypt and libcygipc.  I'll try to sort this out on the
pgsql-cygwin list, to which now, I finally managed to subscribe. I'll also try
not to swear too loud about autoconf.

> Also, what would be the advantage of the mingw32 specific makefiles that
> you sent,

That's simple: they build native win32 libraries with zero euros worth of
tools.

>versus just using the win32 native ones that we already have?

These only work with M$ Visual C++ and are in a proprietary Makefile format
that works with no other compiler than M$'s.

Later,

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0