Bug #459: serial data type problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject Bug #459: serial data type problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Teoh Teik Liang (martin_teoh@hotmail.com) reports a bug with a severity of 1

Short Description
serial data type problem

Long Description
I had created a table with 2 fields (transaction_code serial primary key) and (trans_desc varchar(20) not null).  I
foundthat when I insert a null value into a trans_desc field, the record is not added because of the field is not able
tokey in null value.  But the transaction_code already increase 1 for me.  So, if I add the another record, the
transaction_codewill skip 1 value.  How can I make the transaction_code not to increase if the record is not added into
thetable?

Sample Code
CREATE TABLE TEST (
   TRANSACTION_CODE SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
   TRANS_DESC VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
   PARTICULAR VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL
);

INSERT INTO TEST (PARTICULAR) VALUES ('TEST2');
*** CANNOT ADD RECORD BUT TRANSACTION_CODE INCREASED ALREADY. ***

INSERT INTO TEST (TRANS_DESC, PARTICULAR) VALUES ('TEST2', 'TEST PAR');

*** TRANSACTION_CODE WILL START FROM 2 ***

No file was uploaded with this report