Re: need help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: need help
Date
List pgsql-general
> Once we start a Postmaster process, will it keep
running forever?

It will if you run it in background like

postmaste -i -D /home/mydir/pgsql-database-dir &

> How can we restart/stop??(the commands???)

The preferred command might be pg_ctl that comes
along with postgresql distribution:

pg_ctl start
pg_ctl stop

killing the postmaster process (kill <pid>) also
works although this approach is not recommended.

> Also, should we start the Postmaster only as the
"postgres" superuser???

I would say this is a management issue and it is you
who decide whether to start postmaster by postgres or
not. I have not seen in the document saying that this
is the only way to go.

> Is it possible to have users for postgres database
also....like in linux....we have users?

Yes. you can define users somewhere. The document
already explains.

CN

CN

You too can have your own email address from Eurosport.
http://www.eurosport.com