Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From B. Palmer
Subject Re: How to make a REALLY FAST db server?
Date
List pgsql-general
>> - Hardware:  dual / quad Intel class
>
>OK, but remember I/O is key for databases.  The more spindles the
>better.  See my performance article on techdocs.

>> - OS:  Prolly FreeBSD (FFS is your friend (what with syncs and all) and it
>> can do multi proc support

>I would recommend soft updates be enabled.

Good points.

>> - Disk:  SCSI Raid 1+0
>
>Not sure about that.  Is that optimal for I/O?

From my experience it is.  As long as you have a raid controler that
can do 2 level RAID abstraction.  First you need mirrored pairs and
then you stripe over them.  It costs a lot in disk,  but is stupid fast
with the right raid controller.  With some Suns / FC / EMC,  we were
getting ~100M/s+ with that setup for our Oracle server.

>> - Ram:  Not really sure here.  Is there math somewhere for ram needs for
>> pgsql? I imagine is has something to do with # connections,  db size,
>> etc.
>
>Again, see article.

Thanks.

 b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net            pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5