pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc1 ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc1 ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    scrappy@hub.org    01/09/10 10:55:08

Modified files:
    src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc1: DatabaseMetaData.java
    src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2: DatabaseMetaData.java

Log message:
    On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 01:34:46 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
    >there is still an unpatched reference to pg_description in
    >getColumns(), in both jdbc1 and jdbc2.

    This was introduced by Jeroen's patch (see
    http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1032468). Attached
    is a patch that returns getColumns() to using "select
    obj_description()" instead of direct access to pg_description,
    as per the request by Tom.

    I've incorporated Jeroen's fix to left outer join with
    pg_attrdef instead of inner join, so getColumns() also returns
    columns without a default value.

    I have, however, not included Jeroen's attempt to combine
    multiple queries into one huge multi-join query for better
    performance, because:
    1) I don't know how to do that using obj_description() instead
    of direct access to pg_description
    2) I don't think a performance improvement (if any) in this
    method is very important

    Because of the outer join, getColumns() will only work with a
    backend >= 7.1. Since the conditional coding for 7.1/7.2 and
    jdbc1/jdbc2 is already giving me headaches I didn't pursue a
    pre-7.1 solution.

    Regards,
    Ren? Pijlman <rene@lab.applinet.nl>