Re: Importing an ASCII file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: Importing an ASCII file
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 9 Sep 2001, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-09-07 at 04:08, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > I have an ASCII file with fields separated by tabs.
> > My only issue is that text fields are enclosed with "
> > Is there a way to tell Postgresql to ignore those "?
> > Didn't see anything on the FAQ on importing data from ASCII files. Isn't
> > this an FAQ?
>
> I have a perl script which handles this sort of thing, but in my use it
> was comma-delimited rather than tab delimited, so would need some
> minimal change.

yes, at your convenience please send it.

My problem was two fold. First I didn't know what command was needed to do
the import (copy from). I was surprised to NOT find this info on the FAQ.
I thought this would have been a FAQ.

The second problem were the quotes. Given that the data was coming from a
Foxpro table I just ended up creating a Foxpro program to spit out the
data the way I needed.

There are DBF to PostgreSQL converters, but the Foxpro program gives me
the most flexibility and speed (no need to copy all fields, only the ones
I need).