Re: [BUGS] pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb encnames.c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [BUGS] pgsql/src/backend/utils/mb encnames.c
Date
List pgsql-committers
> > I am seeing no failure here with enable-multibyte and enable-locale.
> > Can you update cvs, do a make clean, and try again.
>
> pg_encoding builds okay here.
>
> I think Marc said something about having recently changed the anon-CVS
> server to be a mirror of the master CVS, rather than the same server.
> This would mean that Larry might not be looking at the same sources
> you are.  Maybe the mirror update interval needs to be tightened.

OK, looks like an OS bug.  In the compile of pg_encoding:

gcc -O2 -pipe -m486 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -g
-Wall -O1 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-I../../../src/include -I/usr/local/include/readline
-I/usr/contrib/include  -c -o pg_encoding.o pg_encoding.c
gcc -O2 -pipe -m486 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -g
-Wall -O1 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations pg_encoding.o
-L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/contrib/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/pgsql/lib -g -Wall -O1 -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wmissing-declarations -lz -lcompat -lipc -ldl -lm -lutil -lreadline
-ltermcap  -o pg_encoding

The line:

    -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq

does not seem to search for libpq in the -L first, and probably checks
LD_RUN_PATH or something like that.  No idea but it seems only his OS is
affected.  Installing a new libpq in his install directory fixed it.

One possible cause would be to use a symlink to get to pgsql/src.  In
that case, ../../.. puts you in the symlink directory and not to the top
of the cvs tree.  That is not an issue for him, but a possible cause of
failure.