Re: Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications
Date
List pgsql-general
Not only is it impossible to keep systems
administrators from being able to "peek" into your
database, but those kind of controls tend to tick us
off.  After all, we get paid for watching out for
systems, developers that make our lives difficult do
not get our business.

What happens if we already have a PostgreSQL server
and want to use your software with it?  Or worse yet,
what happens when we install your software and it
installs another version of PostgreSQL on the machine
that conflicts with another version we already have
installed (they want to use the same port for
example)?

Normal systems administrators are not interested in
stealing your data model, but they probably will be
interested in reindexing tables manually, scripting a
backup, and other such tasks that require having
access to the table.  If you deny them access to the
database containing *their* data, then they will look
around for alternatives.  What's more, companies like
having access to the data model so that they can
integrate the software with other packages that they
might have.  Or does your software do *everything*.

Your competitors will be able to "borrow" your data
model no matter what you do.  There's no sense
aggravating your customers.

majordomo@postgresql.org)