pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc2 ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian - CVS
Subject pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql jdbc2 ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql
Changes by:    momjian@hub.org    01/08/25 20:54:42

Modified files:
    src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2: PreparedStatement.java
    src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/util: Serialize.java

Log message:
    The attached file: SerializePatch2.tgz, contains a patch for
    org.postgresql.util.Serialize and org.postgresql.jdbc2.PreparedStatement
    that  fixes the ability to "serialize" a simple java class into a
    postgres table.

    The current cvs seems completely broken in this support, so the patch
    puts it  into working condition, granted that there are many limitations
    with  serializing java classes into Postgres.

    The code to do serialize appears to have been in the driver since
    Postgres  6.4, according to some comments in the source.  My code is not
    adding any  totally new ability to the driver, rather just fixing what
    is there so that  it actually is usable.  I do not think that it should
    affect any existing  functions of the driver that people regularly
    depend on.

    The code is activated if you use jdbc2.PreparedStatement and try to
    setObject  some java class type that is unrecognized, like not String or
    not some other  primitive type.  This will cause a sequence of function
    calls that results in  an instance of Serialize being instantiated for
    the class type passed.  The  Serialize constructor will query pg_class
    to see if it can find an existing  table that matches the name of the
    java class. If found, it will continue and  try to use the table to
    store the object, otherwise an SQL exception is  thrown and no harm is
    done.  Serialize.create() has to be used to setup the  table for a java
    class before anything can really happen with this code other  than an
    SQLException (unless by some freak chance a table exists that it  thinks
    it can use).

    I saw a difference in Serialize.java between 7.1.3 and 7.2devel that I
    didn't  notice before, so I had to redo my changes from the 7.2devel
    version (why I  had to resend this patch now).  I was missing the
    fixString stuff, which is  nice and is imporant to ensure the inserts
    will not fail due to embedded  single quote or unescaped backslashes. I
    changed that fixString function in  Serialize just a little since there
    is no need to muddle with escaping  newlines: only escaping single quote
    and literal backslashes is needed.  Postgres appears to insert newlines
    within strings without trouble.