Re: User locks code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: User locks code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
... >Yes, that is probably it.  The GPL doesn't give anything to users, it >takes some control away from users and
givesit to the author of the >code.

Correction - it takes away from the *distributor* of binaries the right to
give users fewer rights than he has.  If he doesn't distribute, he can do what
he likes.

I'm sorry to be pedantic!  We need to be clear about that because Microsoft
are trying to spread FUD about it.

From the project's point of view, it is probably a bad idea to accept code
under any licence other than BSD.  That can only lead to confusion among
users and distributors alike and may led to inadvertent violation of the
GPL by those who don't notice that it is has been used.

========================================   "I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the      Son of man came
withthe clouds of heaven, and came to     the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before      him. And there was
givenhim dominion, and glory, and      a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages,      should serve him; his
dominionis an everlasting      dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom      that which shall not be
destroyed."                                       Daniel 7:13,14