Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-general
Oliver Elphick wrote:
> However, it would be convenient if the database would do this for me.  I
> still don't understand why people think it undesirable for it to do so, since
> it is a problem universal to multi-user databases and the effort is
> therefore more economically spent at the database rather than at the
> application level.

    Because  you'd  need  a dedicated DB connection per logged in
    user (think about that in big ERP systems with 10,000+ logged
    in  users - would like to see that DB server). Any web server
    technology has or is seeking for database connection  pooling
    these  days,  and  they  don't  do  it just because all these
    multi-threading issues are such a fun to resolve.

    Just because it'd be convenient for  application  programmers
    doesn't make something a good solution.

Jan