... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joshua Franklin
Subject ...
Date
List pgsql-admin
I just moved in as system administrator at a small
ISP. We have a postgresql database to keep track of
user logins, for example to see if a new user has not
used the account and so might be having trouble
getting it set up. Anyway, the db, called radiusdb,
grows fairly quickly. What we'd like to do is split
about 3 months at a time off into a separate db, which
could be burned to a CD and archived. I was looking
into doing this with pg_dump to duplicate the db, then
deleting records and so on. But, when I try to run
pg_dump (on our production machine), it's giving me an
error:

[postgres@ns1 postgres]$ pg_dump radiusdb
getTypes(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend:
'ERROR:  cache lookup for userid 26 failed
'.

userid 26 is postgres, the db administrator. The same
message comes up when I tried to dump as another
authorized user, so I'm assuming it's an admin problem
of some sort. BTW, grep reports that pg_shadow matches
a search for 'postgres', so even though I don't know
what pg_shadow should look like exactly, it does at
least have that user in it.