Re: New RPMS ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent R. Matzelle
Subject Re: New RPMS ?
Date
List pgsql-general
--- Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2001 18:09, Trond Eivind Glomsr�d wrote:
> > > I am not talking just about PostgreSQL now. It is not nice
> to provide
> > > support for a number of customers without Unix and Linux
> culture and
> > > having to recompile everything from sources. :-(
>
> > If you want newer packages, get Red Hat Linux 7.1.
>
> For some folks with older machines, 6.2 is as high as it goes.
>  Ever install
> 7.1 on a 486?  This fellow is in Brazil -- and may not have
> even a Pentium,
> for all we know.

For the record, Red Hat 7.1 with the slim 2.4 kernel runs very
smoothly on my old Pentium 133 running on 48 MB RAM.  It
performs the duties of firewall, SMTP server, and DNS server
while only using 4 MB of swap!  PostgreSQL 7.1 should be no
problem.

Brent