Re: Re: Perfomance decreasing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Denis Perchine
Subject Re: Re: Perfomance decreasing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 17 August 2001 15:09, Ivan Babikov wrote:
> > In this case, however, I think he may be understating too much.  I read
>
> the original question as "PostgreSQL is not useful for production systems."
> Call me melodramatic if you like: you are probably right.
>
> > The point, I guess, is this: it would be really useful to have a document
>
> somewhere that honestly described the limitations of (the current version
> of) PostgreSQL.
>
> Do you mean Postgres becomes very weak when the size of a database achieves
> 1.5Gb or something close to it?
>
> Maybe this is one of typical questions, but I have heard people complaining
> that Postgres is just for quite small bases. Now we have to choose a free
> database for then inexpensive branch of our project and Interbase looks
> better at capability to work with quite big bases (up to 10-20Gb). I am not
> sure now that Postgres will work with bases greater than 10Gb, what does
> All think?

I do not see any problems. It works for me, and I have no problems. The only
problem you could have is with vacuum. It is solvable anyway. But if you have
not so much updates it is not an issue too (I mean if do not update more than
25% of DB each day).

Actually for anyone listening for such advices I would recommend to create a
test installation, and stress test it before go to production. Interbase has
its own problems.

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine