Re: rotating table question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: rotating table question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 02:29:47PM +0200, Roman Havrylyak wrote:
> Suppose we have table with indexes, attached triggers, and finnaly alot of
> records (more then 100,000). Records are adding continuously.
>
> Once a month you have to do archiving of records. Simple INSERT INTO ARCHIV
> followed by DELETE and then VACUUM take alot of time, offen even hang up
> sessions. Dropping triggers and indexes is bad due to the continuously
> adding records.
>
> Is there any ways to solve problems?

I'm not sure whether it works, it may only work with a recent release, but
wouldn't the solution be:

begin;
alter table data rename to data_archive;
create table data (...);
commit;

I think with the recent decoupling of filenames and table names that should
be possible.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/