Re: Query Approach and performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Query Approach and performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 03:29:36AM -0400, Morgan Curley wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> On average, are multiple simple queries better performance-wise than joins?
> i.e.
> select A.col1 from table1 A
> select B.col2 from table2 B where B.col1 = A.col1
> etc
>
> vs
>
> select A.col1, B.col2 from table1 A, table2 B where B.col1 = A.col1
>
> Are joins better for small/large numbers of tables?
> Is there a diff?

Letting the database do joins is always better than doing them yourself.

> My approach to date has been to keep queries as simple as possible, and
> when I see a need for complicated joins, I create a view and then do simple
> queries against that.

I don't think it makes that much difference. Views are precompiled to some
extend.

> Does pg cache queries like Oracle does so that repeated queries don't need
> to go through the compile phase and run faster? Is this configurable?

Hmm, I've never noticed that query compilation actually took any noticable
time. No, postgres doesn't do that but I'm not convinced it would make a
difference.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>