Re: problems with win2k... - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: problems with win2k...
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Robert,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:53:16PM -0500, Robert J. Sanford, Jr. wrote:
> so i download the latest cygwinsetup.exe and run the
> full install (including source files which takes for
> freakin' ever).

There is no need to download the source since you just downloaded the
pre-built binaries for all packages -- including PostgreSQL 7.1.2.

> ************** error msgs start here **************
> gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations command.o
> common.o help.o input.o stringutils.o mainloop.o copy.o startup.o
> prompt.o variables.o large_obj.o print.o describe.o
> tab-complete.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq -L
> /usr/local/lib -g  -lz -lcrypt -lreadline -lcygipc -o psql
> tab-complete.o(.text+0x2a36):tab-complete.c: undefined reference to
> `filename_completion_function'
> [snip]
> ************** error msgs end here **************

The above is due to building against readline 4.2 instead of 4.1.
Search the pgsql-patches list for a patch that I have contributed and has
already been accepted into the PostgreSQL CVS that fixes this problem.
Note that my pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.2-3 binary already has this patch
applied.  What version of the source were you trying to build?

> i'm guessing that something in cygwin is not properly configured
> but since i am new at this i have no idea...

Please read the Cygwin PostgreSQL README:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.2.README

> ps - the adduser and su commands don't exist either.

On NT/2000, adduser is User Manager and su doesn't exist yet (but may in
the future).

> i'm guessing
> that since i'm on win2k that there isn't a real need for them
> since everyone is a superuser?

Kinda -- at least that is how I run (under Windows).

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235